Welcome to Clallam County!
We’re pleased to provide this guide of business resources that will make your business development journey easy, smooth and profitable.
Please consider the Clallam Economic Development Council your partner in success.
If you are looking for business grant or loan information, you will find it on the Choose Clallam First website.
Buying or Selling a Small Business – what’s it Worth?
Colleen McAleer, Executive Director for Clallam EDC and the Dept. of Commerce sponsored GEM program brings you the Buying or Selling a Small Business tutorial:
You can find more instructional videos for your business at :
Business Investment Services
COIN (Clallam Opportunity Investment Network) Local investors
investing in local Small Businesses.
Whether you’re a startup searching for your first loan or an existing business planning to grow, we’d like to help. Click Here to find out more.
First Federal | www.ourfirstfed.com
Kitsap Bank | https://www.kitsapbank.com/
Umpqua Bank | https://www.umpquabank.com/business-banking/
Key Bank | www.key.com
Sound Community Bank | www.soundcb.com
Strait View Credit Union | www.svcu.com
Washington Federal | www.washingtonfederal.com
1st Security Bank | www.fsbwa.com
Chase Bank | www.chase.com
US Bank | www.usbank.com
Advising & Coaching for Businesses
CIE NW Advancing sustainable and equitable economic growth and financial inclusion around the world.
SBA Resource Guide
Score is America’s premier source of free business mentoring and education. Volunteer counselor Mark Hannah is available by appointment by calling 360.457.7793.
- Score is America’s premier source of free business mentoring and education. Volunteer counselor Mark Hannah is available by appointment by calling 360.457.7793.
WSU Extension Information and educational programs for farmers and those involved in local food systems.
SBDC provides free individual counseling to assist businesses with business planning, market development financing and management. For local assistance contact your Certified Business Adviser at 360.865.4938
Enterprise for Equity Helping people with limited incomes start and sustain small businesses
One-on-One Business Advising in E-Commerce and Social Media Marketing for local Business Owners
Thanks to a grant from the Economic Development Administration’s CARES Act supplemental funding program, NODC is able to offer free technical assistance to help businesses in Jefferson and Clallam Counties that have experienced reduced sales as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. NODC will help businesses develop or improve online marketing and e-commerce efforts to reach consumers who are doing more online shopping.
- evaluation of your current online marketing strategies and platforms, including social media, business website, e-commerce site, and Google Local listing
- practical, hands-on coaching and training
- assistance in setting up social media accounts and planning content
- development of new websites and/or e-commerce sites
These services are available to existing restaurants and businesses in Clallam and Jefferson Counties through June 30, 2022. For information, contact Susan Shoemaker, Business Assistance Specialist, at email@example.com or call (360) 775-9781.
Business Assistance Request Form for NODC
Training Providers for Employees
Local Training (see also Education)
Peninsula College is a collaborative community inspiration turned into a dream for community.. With an array of programs to choose from including; Healthcare, Professional technical degrees, Trades, Certifications, Ongoing education, Bachelors in Applied Science for Management, AA transfer degrees, and now offering the 1 year AA program, accelerated and fully online! Visit here to learn more
NWSWB (Northwest School of Wooden Boat Building)
Teaching and preserving traditional and contemporary wooden boat building skills
Leasing, Maritime & General Aviation Support
Port of Port Angeles | Bringing people, Resources and industry together to foster economic prosperity and living wage jobs.
- Clallam Economic Development Council | www.clallam.org | Offering a portal to an expansive network of business contacts, tools, and solutions for both public and private businesses.
- National Development Council | www.ndconline.org
- North Olympic Development Council | www.noprcd.org
- Sequim Chamber of Commerce | www.sequimchamber.com
- Port Angeles Regional Chamber of Commerce | www.portangeles.org
- Forks Chamber of Commerce | www.forkswa.com
- Clallam Bay-Sekiu Chamber of Commerce | www.clallambay.com
- Neah Bay Chamber of Commerce | www.neahbaywa.com
- Port Angeles Business Association | www.paba.org
- West End Business Association | www.forkswa.com/listing/west-end-business-and-professional-association/
- North Peninsula Builders Association | www.npba.info
- Sequim Association of Realtors | www.sequimrealtors.org
- Port Angeles Association of Realtors | www.portangelesrealtors.com
- Port Angeles Downtown Association | www.portangelesdowntown.com
CenturyLink | www.centurylink.com
CresComm | crescommwifi.com/
HughesNet | hughesnet.com
Nikola | www.nikolabroadband.com/
Olypen | tartpage.olypen.com/
NOANET | noanet.net
Silverstar Telecom | www.silverstartelecom.com
Wave | residential.wavebroadband.com |
Check Broadbandnow.com to see which service providers are in your area.
Licensing and Permitting
Business licensing requirements vary depending upon the type of business and the location. You will have to contact more than one jurisdiction. To do business in Washington State, you must first fill out a Washington State Master Business License Application available on line at www.wa.gov.dol/forms . This may also be obtained from the local office of the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries or the Department of Licensing.
BUSINESSES INSIDE CITIES
Clallam County does not have jurisdiction within the city limits of Forks, Port Angeles or Sequim, except for the issuance of food service permits. If your business will be located within a city, please contact them to determine their business license and zoning requirements:
Forks City Hall | 500 E. Division St. | 360.374.5412 | www.forkswashington.org/
City of Port Angeles | 321 East 5th St. | 360.457.0411 | www.cityofpa.us/
City of Sequim | 152 West Cedar St. | 360.683.4139 | www.sequimwa.gov/
BUSINESSES IN THE UNINCORPORATED AREAS OF THE COUNTY
If your business will be located outside city limits and within Clallam County, please contact the Department of Community Development at 360.417.2318 to ensure the location is compatible with County zoning. The County issues a license only for certain businesses. Please contact the Commissioners’ Office at 360.417.2233 to learn which businesses need county licenses and how to obtain them.
Contact the Department of Community Development at 360.417.2239 to determine if local zoning allows for your type of business.
FOOD SERVICE PERMITS
Food service establishments in Clallam County, including those located within cities, must obtain a food services operational permit from the County Environmental Health Division at 360.417.2328. Individual employees must obtain a food handler’s permit available from the same office.
All local health departments offer the food worker training, test, and card online. The only authorized online training program is www.foodworkercard.wa.gov. Other websites that appear to offer a similar card online are not valid in Washington.
LOCAL WASHINGTON STATE AGENCY OFFICES
- Olympic Region Clean Air Agency (ORCAA) | 800.422.5623 | www.orcaa.org/
- WA State Department of Revenue (M, W, F) | 734 East 1st Street, Suite B Port Angeles, WA 98362 | 360.417.9900 or 800.647.7706 | www.dor.wa.gov
- WA State Department of Labor & Industries | 1605 East Front Street, Suite C Port Angeles, WA 98362 | 360.417.2700 ext. 4628 | www.wa.Lni.wa.gov
- Department of Licensing | 360.664.1400 | www.wa.dol.wa.gov
PUBLISHED BY THE CLALLAM ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
Washington State Department of Commerce
Mastering the basic skills of starting and running a business begins with the fundamentals. Their instructors have been in your shoes. They’ve built their own businesses or served as consultants to business large and small.And now they are here to help you master the skills that are critical for you to build your own successful enterprise.
11 Video Lessons from Ideation and Business Structure to Choosing the Right Location and Avoiding Common Mistakes.
Click Here to learn more.
IRS News For Businesses and Employers
- Employers will experience a delay in receiving payments associated with Form 7200, Advance Payment of Employer Credits, processed between late-December and mid-January due to standard end-of-year close out. The IRS will continue to accept and process valid Forms 7200 during this time, and the payment of valid requests during this time will begin to be processed on January 21, 2021. Employers will still receive Letter 6312, Form 7200 Response, if the Form 7200 cannot be processed.
- Some small businesses pay employment tax quarterly while others may pay it just once a year.
- The IRS advises small business owners to review the rules for filing two commonly used employment tax returns. The two forms are:
- Form 941, Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax Return
- Form 944, Employer’s Annual Federal Tax Return
- These two forms are not interchangeable. A small business files one or the other. The employer should never flip-flop between the two forms on their own and should always file according to their designated filing requirement.